The first attempt of forming the Bergen Chapter was on May 28, 1931. At that time, five councils comprised the charter members of the Chapter.
- St. John, Council 1345, Bergenfield
- Ridgewood, Council 1736, Ridgewood
- St. Thomas More, Council 2188, Westwood
- Corpus Christi, Council 2448, Hasbrouck Heights
- Chief Justice White, Council 2586, Teaneck
Three Knights served as Chairman from 1931 to 1934.
- Felix P. Schuellein, DD (1931-1932)
- Julian A. Sohon, PGK (1932-1933)
- Martin V. Merritt, DD (1933-1934)
Nothing is known of why the Bergen Chapter ceased to exist after 1934. But it would be 14 years before the Chapter would be revived in its present form on March 12, 1948. Jules Hamell, of Sacred Heart Council 2842, Rochelle Park, became the first Chairman of the revived Chapter. Since that time, 41 other Knights from 20 councils have served as Chairman, leading the Chapter in its continuing mission to provide aid to those Brother Knights in distress.
2008 marked the 60th anniversary of the Chapter. In honor of this occasion, the Chapter teamed with its brother organization from Bergen County, the Bergen Federation, which was honoring its 25th anniversary, in holding a joint anniversary dinner on April 19th. The anniversary dinner went so well, that that two organizations have held Joint Kickoff Dinners since 2008, alternating as hosts.
Today, the Chapter consists of 24 of the 41 Bergen County councils. Its Welfare Committee has distributed tens of thousands of dollars to brother Knights.